Monday, March 17, 2008

March 17, 2008

The two words that bring joy to the heart of every student - Spring Break - happened at SVU last week. We took a mini break and traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina, about 200 miles due south, to attend the temple (somehow our golf clubs also ended up in the trunk). Spring has started to arrive in the southeast. It we 72 degrees in Raleigh and even good old BV reached 70 on Friday. However, the weekend was cold and windy with rain showers (and boy do we need the rain).

Déjà vu Moment of the Week:
I was in J C Penney's at the Lynchburg Mall - sort of shopping and sort of wasting time, when I overheard the following conversation between a teenage boy (13-14) and his parents.

Boy, "I don't like these Arizona Jeans (Penney's house brand)."

Mom, "But this is the brand you have been wearing since you were six years old."

Boy, "I just don't like them"

Dad, "We always buy this brand - and besides, they are 50% off!" His voice getting a little louder and more parental.

Boy, "I want the Levi jeans"

Dad, "But Levi's cost twice as much and the only difference is the patch on the hip pocket - they are probably even made in the same Bangladesh factory." His voice getting louder still.

Mom, "Now dear, if he wants the Levi's maybe we should....."

Father interrupts, "Now Margaret, there is no difference in those jeans except in that boy's head."

Boy, "If you buy the Arizona jeans I won't wear them to school."

And so it went - a boy wanting to be stylish and parents looking at the price tag. But it took me back to a J C Penney's in Kalispell Montana (On Main Street - not in the mall) some 40 years ago. As we were loading up on school clothes for the year Craig suddenly announced he would no longer wear the house brand (which he had been wearing for years), but needed the Levi patch on his hip. After a discussion almost like (word for word) the one above - we gave in (although we had limited funds so purchased fewer jeans). Then Roger (two years younger) pied up and announced that if Craig got Levi's, so did he!

So listening to that conversation in Penney's brought back fond (?) memories of raising teenagers and for those currently raising teens – or for you teens who are trying to raise your parents - you have my sympathies - and enjoy it, the time will pass swiftly

Love
Elder/Dad/Grandpa Cottle

1 comment:

craigthegrey said...

I'll have you know that yesterday I was in Costco and couldn't help but notice the costco brand jeans - on sale!!! Of course, I did NOT buy them!

I also try to play nothing but Fender guitars, eat only actual Frosted Flakes from Kellogg's, try to use only original Bike E accessories for my bike, and generally will tend to buy things endorsed by anyone I think is cool... I'm just saying...