Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Blog 03/04/08

March 3, 2008
We attended three different wards yesterday - it makes a long time in meetings - but I love to listen to the students bear their testimonies.
Since yesterday was Fast Day my mind has turned to the fasting process. I cannot count the number of times I have fasted but most have been on the monthly fast day, but from time to time I have fasted for a special reason. I started to consider the difference between the regular fast and the special fast and why the special fast seems to produce a more spiritual experience. So I decided to try something a little different yesterday. Early in the day I focused on one special reason for my fast (not going to mention it here but something very important to me), and throughout the fast I tried to focus on this reason; by thinking about it, the circumstances around it and what I wanted to happen. It turned out to be a great fast – I felt a good spirit and, developed some ideas of what I could do about special reason. So as you approach the next fast day I suggest you give it a try.
My nomination for the mistaken identity goof of the week- A couple from Utah called to ask about serving a mission at the SVU Institute. In the course of the conversation the lady said to me, "Now that SVU - isn't that the Mormon school owned by Gladys Knight and the Pips (You young whippersnappers ask your parents about Gladys Knight and the Pips)?"
Stifling the laughter, I explained that SVU is a private (not Mormon) university with a conduct code similar to BYU. Furthermore Gladys and her Pips had nothing to do with the school. But one Glade Knight, a Virginia businessman provides much financial support to the University - in fact he was instrumental in getting the school started. I also mentioned that I had met Glade on numerous occasions and he looks nothing like Gladys or is he accompanied by the harmonious tones of the PIPS. As we finished the conversation I still sensed some doubt about my version of the Knights!
Have a good week
Elder/Dad/Grandpa Cottle

No comments: