Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mental Floss


In her recent post Holly mentioned Mental Floss and posted a link to one of their articles about cold places. She reminded me how much I enjoy Mental Floss. Although I very seldom look at their stuff on line, Mental Floss has been the first, and remains the only, magazine I actually read cover to cover.

Did you see the last issue with articles on how to get to heaven? It was very informative: I found the Buddhism and Islam pieces particularly interesting. There was also a relatively accurate section on the Mormon view of getting to heaven. I was remined of it today because in the most recent issue they published a letter to the editor from a Mormon correcting some of the mistakes.

A few issues ago they announced the Golden Lobe Awards for things like "Best Use of a Sick Day" (Rene Descartes) and "Most Misguided Marketing Scheme" (Dodge La Femme in 1955-56). J'Neil particularly liked the "Most Desirable Corpse in History" category (Abraham Lincoln).

We love Mental Floss....

5 comments:

Randal Miller said...

Mental_floss is the only magazine that I read cover to cover as well. I can't get enough. A few years ago, they even ran an interview with one of my professors from the University of Alberta that I know well (he wrote me a letter of rec) about plants genetically engineered to detect land mines.

I also enjoyed the Golden Lobe award, but have to disagree with their pick for the J'Neil's favorite category: "Most Desirable Corpse." I think that Evita Peron should have won that one hands down. Her corpse has been stolen and re-stolen for 50 years, traveling within Argentina, to Italy, to Spain and back (and who knows where else). Mental_floss' pick, Abe Lincoln, shows that the writers are a bit America-centric, I think

Kristin said...

A couple of times over the past two years, Craig has accidentally left his Mental Floss on an airplane somewhere, and it was always very sad day when it happened.

Were the Miller Family converts to Mental Floss before we shared it with you, or after? We introduced Mental Floss my Mensan brother as well, and he also can't get enough.

Kristin said...

I have the urge to ask (and obviously I am doing so) since this question has actually been posed to me by other people, and inquiring minds want to know:

Will you be staying in the United States after you have completed all your education & training, Randy? I know you're technically one of us, and I'm sure your talents could benefit the USA in a variety of ways, but it seems from some of your comments here and there that you don't seem to like us much down here.

Now, it is true that our extreme egotism can be annoying and offensive, and we also don't have Big Turks, the Northwest Territories, Stephen Harper, or great back bacon, nevertheless, we do have our good points. It's not fair to come down and partake of our assets and goodness if you dislike us. :-)

Randal Miller said...

We had not even heard of Mental_floss until you gave us a subscription, so I think it is quite fair to take credit for our conversion. I think the product sells itself quite nicely, though - I even converted one of my roommates to it.

And to answer your question, Kris, I am planing on staying in the US after I graduate, for a while at least. Right now it looks like I'll be heading to Northern California (since essentially everyone in a firm's summer program is invited back for permanent employment).

And I don't think it's entirely accurate to claim that I dislike America. In fact, this country has been very good to us, and we are loving our time here. I am still a proud Canadian, though, so It's hard to resist poking fun at least once and a while.

Holly said...

You might want to be carefull not to look like one of those Holier than Thou Canadians that seem to be around.