Monday, January 21, 2008

Blog Jan 21 08

January 21, 2008
Another week - another 12 classes - both teaching and preparation – and that pretty much occupies my time. Once again I'm surprised how quick Virginians are to call off school. Last Thursday morning (5:30 AM) as I left the apartment to workout the sky was somewhat overcast (what little I could see) but no snow or other moisture falling, but as I got in the car and the radio came on the announcer was reading a long list of schools that would be closed, including Buena Vista Schools! Not a flake on the ground and school is closed on the basis of a weather report that a storm might develop later in the day. To be fair, by the time I left the gym some snow had started falling. As it turns out, we had a somewhat ordinary snow storm - about 4 inches of wet warm snow. However, by 2 that afternoon SVU had also cancelled all classes for the remainder of the day and until 10 the next morning. Only one problem - I had an evening class. Not only did I have this class but the previous week I had been chiding the class about what a bunch of pansies local officials were when it come to calling off school and further stated that, "You will never catch me calling of class for a little bit of snow." And, further to that, I had just sent out an email to everyone with the opening line; "This is your Superintendent speaking (jokes), we WILL be having class this evening!" Now, with the University closing down, I was "encouraged" by the Institute Director to cancel my evening class. So.....I had to send a second email, eating humble pie and canceling class. To make matters worse, the snow stopped and the weather warmed up. Now as I run into my students they give me a gentle (or not so gentle) reminder that I have turned into a Virginian pansy.
Now I don’t know about the rest of you and the winter you are experiencing but this morning here at Southern Virginia University it was 7 Degrees (-14 C). How many were colder than that this morning?
Stay warm and keep doing all the good things you are doing and find some more good things to do!
Elder/Dad/Grandpa Cottle

The answer to the dumb riddle of the week – How did the spider learn to spin silk? – It went to a website!
Now for this week DROTW – What is a Porcupine’s favorite craft? – answer next week.

Now for the important stuff – Great games in the NFL yesterday. Only one person picked both games correctly, but modesty prevents me from mention who. Everyone else was 1 out of 2. Now we have a couple of weeks before the Super Bowl, so put your thinking caps on.

No comments: