Monday, January 28, 2008

Bbbbrrrrrrr....#2

O.K. before any of you get the idea that global warming has turned Edmonton into tropical north--here's the weather situation as of 7:00 a.m. this morning. Yesterday (Sunday) the snow and wind started. Over night we recieved about a foot of snow, which was blown around and drifted (it took Craig 1 1/2 hours to shovel our driveway this morning). The temperture is a chilly -30 C (that's about -22 F--I did the conversion this time) with a windchill of -46 C and the snow continues to fall. The warmest temp forecast for this week is -17 C. I realize I have probably destroyed any plans any of you might have had to come visit us, but I needed to uphold our rightful place as the most hard-done-by family members when it comes to weather. And even with these extreme conditions--not one school is cancelled, Craig and Holly are at work and Amy took the bus to univesity. Life just goes on. Only I get to sit in the warmth of my home and play on the computer! Talk to you all later.

6 comments:

Mel said...

I know that Edmonton - I have been there on days just like that. Too make matters worse, the sun is only above the horizon for 8 hours a day. But wait until summer - Edmonton has the best climate around and the days are 20 hours long!

Kristin said...

Okay, Kathy... Let me tell you this!

We got more snow here today than in the past few years combined. Craig's loving it. I'm not sure just where this came from -- perhaps it's a Cottle thing, or maybe it's simply a Canada thing, but he LIKES to shovel snow. He'll get out there and finish our driveway and that won't be enough for him, so he'll shovel the sidewalks all up and down the street and if that's not enough, he'll shovel his way to the park, and then do the some of the neighbors driveways on the way back for good measure.

Schools are closed today, all flights in and out of the airport were cancelled and some of the freeway here was even closed.

So, guess how much snow we have!?

Probably a grand total of about 10 inches.

Our town just can't cope with snow. I think they have like three snowplows total, and when it snows like this, it can take days before we see a plow lumbering along in our area. They never make it into any of the neighborhoods at all.

But to be fair, the reason it's so bad right now is that the snow was preceded by a significant amount of freezing rain. So an inch thick sheet of ice lays under that lovely, powdery snow. No one goes out, the streets are empty, everyone is afraid to drive. So that makes it extra fun for Craig when he gets in the truck, revs it up and slides around in giddy circles.

craigthegrey said...

Just give me some music, some gloves, a shovel and over two inches of snow and I could be happy for days!

Randal Miller said...

Kristin,

You think that YOUR town can't cope with the snow. A few weeks ago we got about 2 inches and everyone PANICED. All of the schools were closed and they dedicated about 80% of the local news to talking about how our lives are all going to end.

And the temperature barely dipped below freezing. You may think there would be ice to worry about on the roads, but I don't think it even got cold enough for ice to form.

I just mention it to uphold our rightful place as the least-hard-done-by when it comes to weather. I'm sure Grandpa can relate

Holly said...

I think that's a good work out for dad (even if he will be feeling it for days)
I have to say however Kristin, I do not envy your weather. As much as I HATE the cold weather we're having I can live when compared to freezing rain. That just causes problems everywhere. I am looking forward to the expected warm up next week, I mean where else can we go but up?

wurstens5 said...

That is very cold. I do not envy you either. If it was up to me, I would pack up and move to AZ