Monday, January 28, 2008

Blog 2008 1 28

January 28, 2008
This and that
A (Boy) Friend
Emily is a student in one of my classes. One day after class she followed me to my office asking all types of questions about the lesson. As we talked it became clear she was preparing to argue the case for the church with someone who had some serious questions. When I suggested this she admitted she had a “friend” who kept asking questions about the church that she could not answer - so she was "learning up" to be able to answer HIS questions. As Emily and I talked further I put the words BOY in front of friend and she quickly corrected me - just a friend, she would say, and so it went. We had similar conversations over the next few days and she always corrected me if I added boy in front of friend - even if I was joking. However - one day as she arrived to class she was just bubbling over with excitement. After the prayer and song I ask if anyone had anything to talk about - up went Emily’s hand. "I just got an e-mail from my BOY friend and he said, thanks to my answers to his questions, he is rethinking his position regarding the church." Silence - a few giggles scattered about the class - then one of the other girls stood up and said to the class "All together now - YOU SAID BOYFRIEND!" Emily turned a shade of red and then everyone had a good laugh - Emily laughing the loudest of all.
Can You Say - He Shoots - He Scores! Eh!
Our friends Marty and B. J. DeReus called (well B. J. called) and said they had a special treat for us Canadians - so they would pick us up at 3:30 for an evening in Roanoke (about 50 miles SW). After dinner we drove to the Roanoke Coliseum and lo and behold - a hockey game was listed on the marquee! But not just any game (hockey is almost unknown in SW Virginia - but the coliseum does have the ability to lay down an ice surface, periodic attempts to bring professional hockey to Roanoke have all failed). It was the GUNS AND HOSES Hockey Game. That’s right - the Guns (Police) were taking on the Hoses (Firemen) in the name of Charity and the teams were cheered on by about 3500 fans. The DeReuses thought this would appeal to us Canadians, and they were right! It's been so long since hockey was part of my life that I had almost forgotten the sights and sounds familiar in every rink - puck against stick, skate blade against ice, puck against board, fist against jaw and so forth. As the players skated on the ice for warm-up it seemed something was different - it took me a minute to realize just what. The skaters were moving in slow motion, at least in accordance with most hockey fan's expectations! The game proceeded at about the pace of a good Pee Wee league game. But it was so much fun. Both teams were evenly matched (The Police won in an overtime shootout) and the game featured everything a good hockey game should - great saves, breakaways, penalties, power plays, fights, fore checks and lots and lots of falling to the ice in crumpled heaps. When a breakaway happened I was the only one that hollered “Shoot, Shoot” and everyone else turned around to look at me. I wanted to stand and salute when, at one point, the PA system played the theme from Hockey Night in Canada. All in all we had a blast remembering hockey – at least a watered down version of hockey – for one night. All thanks to the thoughtfulness of the DeReuses.
Thought of the week – from Francis of Assisi “Preach the gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”
Love Dad/Grandpa/Elder Cottle

I’m sure everyone knows of the passing of President Hinckley – watch the blog for my recollections of the Prophet
Answer to last week’s riddle – What’s a porcupine’s favorite craft? Why, needlepoint of course!
And this week’s dumb riddle – Where did Santa go on Vacation?

Let me say, here and now the Giants will upset the Pats next Sunday, as I said before the first playoff game – never pick against a Manning in a playoff game (I have blanked the Colt’s game out of my mind)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

And this week’s dumb riddle – Where did Santa go on Vacation?

Poland??