Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Music the way it use to be



Hi all. I thought since Randy is always talking about the concerts he goes to, I thought I would fill you in on two concerts I attended last week. If you're under 30, these concerts may not be that exicting to you, but I had a good time.
First off, on Saturday Sept 13, Holly and I went to an Elton John concert. Anyone who knew me before 1980 knows I LOVE Elton John. This is the fourth concert of his I've been to, and were by far the best seat. Holly is master at scoring good concert seats (despite a staggering price tag!) We were on the floor about 20 rows back. Any of you who think the over 40 crowd can't rock needs to go to an EJ concert. It was so fun to be screaming and dancing and waving my cell phone (!) around. It made me feel 16 again. Holly was just and animated and seemed to enjoy the concert just as much as I did. Of course, she has been fed a steady diet of EJ music from the time she was born.
Second concert--on tuesday Sept 16 Craig was offered luxercy box tickets to a Neil Diamond concert. Now I am not (nor have I ever been) a great Neil Diamond fan, but I am a fan of luxery boxes and live music, so I convinced Craig to go. Again, it was a sold out crowd who really appreiciated their Neil Diamond. That crowd was just as loud and rockin' as the EJ crowd and it was fun to watch from the safety of the boxes. I even reconized most of the songs. Neil Diamond said he and his band had been touring together for 30 years!! Do you think they need to practice much?






It was amazing to watch two OLD guys put on very energtic shows. Both of them talked about the privledge of playing music for a living. I guess when you've been doing it for 4 decades you must love it.






5 comments:

wurstens5 said...

Sounds fun, I have never been to a concert in my whole life. Not one.

Anonymous said...

Yeek Jamie, you need to get out more! We actually live two seconds (the entrance to our neighborhood is also the VIP entrance) away from an outdoor concert thing, so on concert nights all we have to do is step outside and most nights we can hear all kinds of music! A couple of months ago, Chris wanted to go to crew fest (a whole bunch of old bands) but didn’t want to buy a ticket so he walked up to the gate and the security guard actually let him in.... he really enjoyed it! Although we never enjoy the TRAFFIC on concert nights!

Anonymous said...

Man, two icons in one week! That's almost an overload. I have never seen Elton John live, though for a long time I listened to the first part of a live album he recorded in Australia. I thought the first side of the first album (yes, this was back in the days of vinyl) was particularly powerful. And Goodbye Yellow Brick Road still makes it onto my mp3 player now and then.

There was a time that I would have mocked a Neil Diamond concert (Remmember when we went to see Barry Manilow in Lethbridge with Mom and Dad?); however, my mocking days are over after having gone to see Kenny Loggins. I didn't expect much, but as it turned out, Kenny Loggins put on a GREAT show. I was almost blown away.

Jamie: not one concert!!???!?!?! Ok, I don't care who it is, but go to the next show out at Red Rocks - unless it's some kind of rap thing - if so, wait for a real musician. You must experience live music! Or, if it's too cold for Red Rocks, David Byrne is going to be at the Temple Buell Theater on October 12th. Or Jackson Browne will be there the first of November (I'd probably chose Jackson Browne). Or you could see ZZ Top on Halloween at the Paramount Theater. You've also got Vince Gill, Metallica, Hanson, KD Lang, Modonna (doing two shows!), Celine Dion, Coldplay, Mudvayne, AD/DC, Trans Siberian Orchestra (I hear they're great), The Black Crowes, and lots of others coming to Denver in the next couple of months. Even, yes, Neil Diamond will be at the Pepsi Center on December 17th. Go see somebody!

Kathy Miller said...

Jamie
I agree with your dad--you've never been to a concert?!?! You are missing out! Get out there and see somebody. Of all the ones your dad mentioned I would pick Celion Dion--I've heard she does a great show. However, if you don't like her music I guess that's not a good choice. Pick somebody you like and go for it!
Craig--I do remember Barry Manilow That was great fun. Nothing beats a live concert. I, like you, would probably have mocked Neil Diamond in my younger, more critical days, but now I'll see just about anyone. Especially if it's free!

Holly said...

Jamie, I don't want to beat you down but you need to go. I'd pick Coldplay, more for the younger crowd.

Now I wanted to add my two bits on Elton John. I thought it was awesome. I was kinda sad that I didn't go the last time he came to Edmonton. I thought I was to young even though, as mom said, I've been feed a steady stream since I was born.... HOWEVER, the over 40 crowd rocking...? I guess they rock in their own way. Just ask mom, every time the crowd sat down, I would get upset. We were on the floor, when your on the floor you don't pay for the seat, you pay for a spot to stand. I think the people behind me were upset that I was standing too much. I don't care I was having fun. Elton John truly rocks.