Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Math Olympiad


This weekend, my team (Alexis and Elizabeth Hooper, and Julia Griffith) and I drove to Connell (small town about 40 miles away) to participate in the Math Olympiad.
The Math Olympiad is a math competition where many teams work problems; 1 hour long big one, then 5 shorter ones with 5 questions each (20 minutes for each short one). Then the teams are scored on them all. If you get higher than 3.6 out of 4 then you get a "superior medal" and 3-3.5 an "excellent ribbon"
There were four teams from our school. After waiting a while in the Connell High School Gym, we left to find our rooms and start the big problem. We though it was fairly easy and were done with it with 10 minutes left. We had a break and then being refreshed attacked the smaller problems... finishing a half an hour early so we got to eat lunch early and wait for the award ceremony.
At the award ceremony, the woman seemed to have no real strategy to handing out the awards but she appears to have gotten them all out. My team had the highest score tied with another team, 3.8, We did not win first place because there were no real "places" but we did get medals...

See? isn't it cool?


5 comments:

Kristin said...

It's very cool. :)

I'm glad you love math.

wurstens5 said...

Good job J'neil!!!You can love Math for the both of us.

J'Neil said...

I do love math. I got excited today because our teacher was teaching something I had taught myself a month ago (long division of polynomials)

Holly said...

Awesome J'Neil.
I kinda wish we had something like that when I was in school (or I guess up here in Canada). I think I would have joined. Math was my favorite subject.

Anonymous said...

Yea for J'Neil! You must take after your Dad, he loved math. The medal looks very nice. Keep up the good work.

Grandma Cottle