Monday, April 19, 2010

This week, something a little different. Leland T and Clara Anderson Cottle were wed in 1921 and I thought you might like to see what was happening in the world as Grandpa and Grandma Cottle started their life together. Also, I have recently come into the possession of some marvelous family pictures (thanks to my brother Steve) and I would like to share a couple of them with you today - and you will see more in the weeks to come. So here we go.



(1)Warren Harding is 29th president. He dies suddenly in August of that same year. (2) Babe Ruth is sold, by the Red Sox, to the Yankees (thus starting the "curse of the bambino")for "the unheard of sum of $125,000 - the most ever paid for a single ballplayer" (When it was latter suggested, in 1929, that Ruth was being paid more than President Hoover he replied: "Why shouldn't I, I had a better year!" (3) Fashion Alert Dated March 6th - "The Chief of police in Sunbury, Pa. has issued an edict requiring women to wear skirts at least four inches below the Knee. The chief was driven to this decision following citizen complaints. They expressed dismay over the sight of two women traversing the streets who had the lace on their skirts too distant from their ankles. The chief had sent some policemen in search of the offenders, but they returned empty handed." In a related story Utah is passing a statute providing for the imprisonment of women wearing skirts higher than three inches above the knee (who says Utah is not a liberal state?). (4) The League of Nations is formed - forerunner to the United Nations, it proves highly ineffective and lasts less than three years. (5) News item - "There are now 8 million, 1.9 even married, women gainfully employed in the United States, 37% as secretaries." (6) Banting and Best, Canadian doctors are the first to isolate insulin. (7) Britain to rule Palestine; Vatican objects. (I think this is where the whole middle east mess started). (8) King Tut' Tomb found. (9)"Mein Kamph" discloses Hilter's polices in book form. (10) 1922 First Reader's Digest Published. (11)Prohibition (18th ammendment) in force, 1920 - 1933. (12) 1927 Limdbergh files solo acorss the Atlantic. (13) Model A Ford introduced. black only, 50,000 pre orders - cost - $385 - 570. (Henry Ford is quoted as saying, "The American Public can have what ever color car they want - as long as it is black!") (14) Also; 1928 Mickey Mouse makes his first appearance; 1929 Herbert Hoover becomes president, and first Academy Awards are held; 1929 October 4th - Stock Market crash that signaled the end of the "Roaring Twenties" and the start of the Great Depression.





This is Thomas Henry Cottle, my Grandfather, husband (second marriage for both) to Alice Kemp Anderson Cottle Negus. He died suddenly, of a heart attack in Stone Idaho, March of 1918, leaving behind Alice and 8 children, my father Leland being the oldest. Any of you notice any resemblance?

Below is one of my most prized photos. Any Guesses before you read on? The little girl in the center is none other than Clara Anderson Cottle, my mother, with Charles Anderson on the left and Alice Kemp Anderson on the right. This photo was taken sometime in 1906 when my mother was just about 1 year old. Charles died later that same year. Notice any resemblances here?


5 comments:

wurstens5 said...

Thanks for the stories Grandpa. Keep them comin!

Heather said...

WOW! I think Jamie looks just like Alice, and Michael looks a little like Joseph. That's crazy!

Karen Ella said...

I LOVE that picture too! She's so beautiful. I highly enjoyed this post! I always wonder, "What was it like?" Now, I have a great historical setting to picture them starting out in... Wow. Just wow. I always admired them, but GOODNESS...even moreso now.

Mel said...

Some sharped eyed readers (thanks Rachelle) noted that I had mistakenlly listed my Grandfather (Clara's father) as Joseph Anderson. When in fact it is Charles. I have made the necessary changes. And thanks so much for the comments. They inspire me to write more.

Karen Ella said...

As in Rachelle, my sister?