Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Cottle Saga Continues

PICKING UP WHERE WE LEFT OFF BEFORE CHRISTMAS

Life Goes On: The Next Generation

A quick Genealogy Note
Henry Cottle (1822-1872) = Mel’s Great Great Grandfather;
Thomas Edward Cottle (1850 – 1908) = Mel’s Great Grandfather;
Thomas Henry Cottle (1887-1918) = Mel’s Grandfather;
Leland T Cottle (1901 – 1990) = Mel’s Father

It seems Henry Cottle will never get over the kidnapping of Elizabeth. He spends much of his remaining life checking on rumors and half truths concerning the whereabouts of his dearly beloved wife. Never does he receive a satisfactory resolution (in fact if you check on newfamilysearch.org today it lists no death date for Elizabeth, only stating that she was “carried off by Indians in Wyoming Territory in 1866)
Henry finally moves on, with stops in Denver, Provo, SLC, Ogden and then, finally, settling in Plain City, Utah with his remaining family; sons Thomas Edward and William and daughter Ann. He tries several methods for making a living, including freighting miner supplies to Butte Montana and other points in the Western States. He always seems restless and can’t settle down. In 1869 he meets and later marries Fanny Washer. They move to Sacramento, California when Henry hopes the change of scenery will help him forget Elizabeth. Three years later, 1872, he dies of consumption (a miners disease – Henry had worked the mines in England) and as his son Thomas Henry put it, “of a broken heart”. He is 50 years of age at time of death. So ends the generation of Cottles that accepted the gospel in England, traveled to “Zion” looking for a better life only to be beset by a life changing tragedy in route to the Promised Land. But all is not lost! Henry’s two sons (Thomas Edward = more about him in the next installment; William Henry Cottle married Elizabeth Drummer and lived in Plain City for most of his life {Craig, remember the Cottles you associated with in Plain City – his Great, Great, Great Grandsons}), and daughter (Ann Cottle married William Robson, they moved about a fair bit, including Medicine Lodge and Moreland, Idaho and then, in 1907, Canada. Ann lived to the ripe old age of 87, passing away in 1943.), go on to live exciting productive lives and continue a linage that includes most of you reading this story. Aren’t you glad they made the trip, and the sacrifice?
More next week

3 comments:

craig said...

Indeed I do, in fact Richard Cottle, the one that was my age, may have been my best friend (it's between him and Mustard - though I can't remember Mustard's real name...) when we left for Canada. Richard was my "rocket" friend, we made and launched lots and lots and lots of rockets.

Do you remember that there was also a Cottle family in that part of the state that had two sons named....Roger and Craig? I believe in their family the Roger was the older one. I assume they also descended from William Henry.

craig said...

Indeed I do, in fact REMEMBER Richard Cottle......

Becca said...

Hi!
My name is Rebecca Gifford and I was tickled to find your post on the Cottles! My mother is Melanie Cottle and I come from William Henry Cottle.
Someone at came through my line today and I saw that they were a Cottle. She told me about Henry Cottle and I decided to see if I was related. I am and I wanted to read his story. Thank you for your post and I hope you post more!
Becca