Monday, December 21, 2009

The Cottle Saga will return in January - Meanwhile, while looking for more Cottle family history I found the following: A poem written by a member of the Cottle family. Read it! Enjoy it! And then take a guess at the identity of the author
From the Writings of ????? ?????? (age ??)
Year
The Boy who didn't believe in Santa Claus (SIC)
Over the mountains, the forest, and plain
From Quebec, to Alberta, To Utah, to Maine
From New York, to Paris, to London or Rome
Across all great oceans, white capped with foam
From all places only one such boy survived
He was mean and was cruel to my surprise
Bluebeard and the Mafia couldn't compare
To him - all badness was just and fair
The meanest boy that ever did live
He could be cured by no medicine doctors could give
For the things he did would make you heart pause
But worst of all, HE DIDN'T BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS
He used to boast "he'd spit in his eye,"
If he ever met the "rotten guy"
"He's a fake and a phony," he used to complain,
"His sleigh is a junk heap, his clothes have soup stains"
But now he has changed from all of that
No longer he thinks Santa looks like a bat
Why he changed no one knows
For he has told none of his friends, not even his foes
But Santa's his hero, and that's a fact
"Santa's the best," on his wall he has tacked
So I questioned him and asked him to explain
He said, "It's simple and plain"
You see it all happened seven winters ago
I set a trap in fireplace for my foe
And I watch in the corner, on my face was a frown
And to my surprise! Santa still came down
And what's more, he had a smile on his face
And walked over to me with wisdom and grace
Non believer, come with me
And you will see my fantasy.
And we climbed on his sleigh and were off like a shot.
And in all that sky we were just a small dot
And we landed at the North Pole
It was desolate and ugly and wouldn't support a sole
but in all that whiteness something appeared
A small little workshop, and elf's so queer.
and with a gesture he invited me in
And tiny elf's worked on toys, balls and scuba fins.
He showed me all the workings of his shop
But then all at once, something made him stop
It was the clock on the wall striking twelve gongs
Signaling Christmas Eve was along
Santa said it is time for me to go
And in a twinkling of an eye we were up in the snow
He dropped me off at my place of abode
And jumped on his sleigh and away he rode
but I heard him exclaim as he flew out of sight
"Always believe and I'll visit you on Christmas eve night"
"But disbelieve and you will find to your shock
A lump of coal in your very own sock!"
MERRY CHRISTMAS
WHO WROTE THIS MASTERPIECE?

4 comments:

Kathy Miller said...

I'm going to guess Brent at 11 years of age. Let me know if I win!

craig said...

Brent was going to be my guess as well... you know...all that english major stuff going on...

Mel said...

Any more guesses before I reveal the winner

Holly said...

Ok, I'll be swayed I'll guess brent too, cause I really don't know.